Gratin is basically a French dish cooked/baked in a shallow dish with ingredients covered with cheese. Vegetable Au Gratin is the most common recipe prepared in Au Gratin form. Fish, seafood, Chicken can also be prepared in Au gratin form. I have used pasta (macaroni) in the regular vegetable Au gratin to make it a full meal with salad.
It is very simple and easy recipe to try. It is also a great way to make your kids eat all the veggies without any hassle. It is basically cooked in white sauce and cheese. I have tried the recipe with a little twist of red sauce and cheese to make it more healthier. White sauce uses maida (All purpose flour) which we will not be using in this version of the recipe.
Also,this recipe can taste bland at times, so I have indian-ised it with few of our spices and flavors.
- Tomatoes – 10 big nos.
- Garlic cloves – 10 nos., finely chopped
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Beans – 1 Cup, finely chopped
- Carrot -1 Cup, finely chopped
- Capsicum -1 Cup, finely chopped
- Cauliflower -1 Cup, finely chopped
- Spring onions – 1 Cup, finely chopped (Save some of the green part for decoration)
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder – 1tsp
- Black pepper – 1tsp, grinded
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Fresh Cream – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
For Au Gratin:
- Above prepared veggies and tomato sauce
- Mayonnaise – 1 tsp
- Macaroni – 2 cups, boiled
- Mozzarella Cheese – 1 cup freshly grated
Step 1: Sauce
- Take the tomatoes in a big sauce pan. Cut them from the bottom in a cross. Add water and boil them.
- After boiling run them under tap water, so that the skin starts to come off. Peel off the skin from all the tomatoes.
- Grind half the tomatoes and chop the other half.
- Take the sauce pan, add oil. Add garlic and chopped tomatoes. Cook them for 2 mins on high flame.
- Add pureed tomatoes, salt ,sugar and cook till the water starts to dry up. Please note we do not have to dry up the water completely. Also, keep stirring.
- Add Basil and oregano and turn off the gas. Cover the pan and let it cool under steam.
Step 2: Veggies
- Melt the butter on a low heat in a saucepan. Add all the veggies and stir them. Then add salt, pepper powder, black pepper and cumin powder. Let it cook till the vegetables are half cooked.
- Add cream and milk and cook till oil separates.
Step 3: Macaroni
- Take a pan, add oil and water. Bring it to boil. Then add salt and macaroni. Keep stirring and boil till macaroni softens.
- Drain the macaroni and transfer to a big bowl.
Step 4: Assemble in Casserole
- Preheat the oven at 230 degree C.
- Take the Casserole or bake tray. Apply butter to all the sides and spread vegetables, prepared in step 2, evenly in the tray.
- Add a layer of the mayonnaise now on top of the vegetables.
- Spread boiled macaroni evenly as our third layer, totally covering vegetables and mayonnaise.
- Now spread tomato sauce, prepared in step 1, evenly over the entire sheet of macaroni.
- Finish the layering with grated cheese and chopped greens of spring onion.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven and remove the foil. Bake again for 5-7 minutes, until you get a light golden brown top layer.
And it is ready. Enjoy and savor!
- You can use the vegetables easily available at your home or of your choice. Vegetables other than the ones used can be; peas, broccoli, potato, Corn or Eggplant.
- If you do not want to use pasta in your recipe, you can simply follow step 1, 2 and 4 for Vegetable Au Gratin.
- Tomato sauce prepared here is easily available in market as Pizza Sauce. If you want to save on time, you can buy from market. Though homemade is healthy with no preservatives and tastes better.
- Mayonnaise is totally optional.
You can also see our other baking recipe of Eggless Dryfruit cake and our recipes in Chinese cuisine Veg Fried Rice And Manchurian Gravy.
Follow us at Facebook
Curd has several health benefits during summers. Many recipes will be made time and again in summers such as Kadhi Pakora, raitas and dahi bhallas. Dahi Bhalla is another typical recipe from Punjabi cuisine. My husband is fond of this platter like anything. Dahi bhalla platter represents lentil dumping along with papdis and boiled potato pieces dipped in creamy yogurt with the flavor of spicy green Coriander and sweet tamarind chutneys.
Dahi Bhalla can be served as side dish with Punjabi main course or can also be served as starter dish. Yesterday on hubby’s demand dahi bhalla was served J
I have used white urad dal without skin, you can use the urad dal with skin. However in the later case after soaking the dal overnight, you have to remove the skin before you could use it for fritters or dumpings or bhallas.
Here we go,
Ingredients For Bhalla:
- White Urad dal – 1
- Green Chilli – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry fruits – 8-10 cashews and raisins each
- Salt – To taste
- Wash the urad dal twice in the flowing water. Soak the dal overnight.
- In the morning remove excess water (if any) and then grind the dal to a smooth batter. Add salt while grinding and if required add little water in between.
- Add finely chopped green chilli and cumin seeds.
- Now mix the batter with little force for couple of minutes, so that batter becomes light and fluffy. Add dryfruits. Again mix them.
- You can check if the batter is by dropping a spoonful of batter in water, if it floats its ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. When oil is medium hot, take a spoonful of urad dal batter and pour in the oil. Deep fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Take lukewarm water with little salt in a big bowl. Put the hot bhallas in the water and keep it aside for half hour.
- Post half hour, take bhalla one by one and press between your palms to drain the excess water. Do not over press the bhallas, otherwise it will break into pieces.
Ingredients For Bhalla Platter:
- Potato – ½ medium (boiled and cut into cubes)
- Yogurt – 1 cup (beaten smooth)
- Green Coriander Chutney – to taste
- Red tamarind chutney – to taste
- Bhallas – 3 nos
- Cumin powder (Roasted jeera powder) – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – a pinch
- Chaat Masala – a pinch
- Chopped coriander – few chopped
- Anar Dana (optional) – ½ tsp
- Arrange bhallas, boiled potato cubes in the serving tray / bowl. Spread beaten smooth curd on the bhallas.
- Now put some green coriander chutney followed by red tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle black salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and Anar dana.
Dahi Bhalla Platter is ready!!
I am sure you will be eager have this yum yummy Dahi Bhalla platter, Enjoy!!!!! Do not forget to check out our easy Cholle Bhature recipe!!!!
Check out our most unique recipe Dhondas here!!!!
If you liked this post, kindly consider linking to it or sharing it with others or like us on Facebook and twitter.
Happy Cooking!! 🙂
Yesterday when I went to market for vegetable shopping, I could see kachhi Kerry on almost every vegetable counter. I was tempted and I bought some Kerry. Immediately after reaching home, I made raw mango akka kachhi Kerry chutney.
There are many recipes where main ingredient is raw mango. Aam ka panna, Kerry chunda, Kerry ki curry and chutney. This summer, I will definitely try catching up these recipes…J
You can serve this raw mango chutney with any kind of stuffed paratha such as Aaloo paratha / Matar paratha .
Here we go,
- Raw Mango – 1 small (peeled, cut into small pieces)
- Onion – 1 small (Cut into pieces)
- Coriander Leaves – 100gms
- Pudina Leaves _ few (optional)
- Green Chilli – 1 small
- Salt – To taste
- Chop raw mango, onion and green chilli into small pieces.
- Wash coriander leaves in the water.
- Grind all the ingredients in a mixer grinder.
- Raw mango chutney is ready.
The color of chutney is because of the onion used. You can also used white onion or spring onion. then probably the color of the chutney will be more green.
If you found this post useful, I would really love if you pin it on pinterest, share it on facebook or tweet it on twitter. All it takes is a simple click.
It will keep us motivated. Thank YOU!!!!!!
Do not forget to check our Coconut Lasoon Chutney and yummy Matar Kachori !!