Paneer is a must ingredient in our diet atleast once a week. Last week I tried Paneer Salsa Tortilla Wrap, and this week it was Paneer Butter Masala. I have also posted before Peas Paneer akka Matar Paneer. Paneer Butter Masala is generally served with tandoori roti / Naan / Garlic Naan / Onion Kulcha in most of the restaurants. I love it with garlic naan. Paneer Butter Masala is paneer pieces dipped in onion tomato gravy flavored in butter. It’s a must try recipe.
Here we go,
- Paneer – 250gms (Cut into cubes)
- Onion – 2 big (Coarsely grinded)
- Tomato – 2 big (grinded to puree)
- Garlic – 5-6 flakes (finely chopped)
- Cashew Nuts – 10 nos. (grinded with milk)
- Green Chillies – 2 nos. (finely chopped)
- Fresh cream – ¼ cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
- Butter – 4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – few chopped for garmish
- Cut paneer into big cubes.
- Soak cashew nuts in warm milk for some time. Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Grind chopped onions with ginger garlic paste to a slightly coarse or smooth paste.
- Heat oil and add 2 tbsp butter and add green chilli, onion, garlic paste mixture and saute until it turns light brown and the raw smell goes.
- Add tomato puree and saute until the mixture becomes really thick and oil separates from the mixture. Saute the tomato mixture until it leaves the pan and make sure masala is not burning at any stage.
- Add roasted cumin powder, sugar, salt, coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add milk and boil it for approx ten minutes or till the oil separates and the gravy dries to make thick masala gravy.
- Now add the ground cashewnut- milk mixture and fresh cream. Add kasuri methi and garam masala.
- Add remaining butter and paneer pieces and give it a stir. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Naan, Kulcha or parantha!!
If you like our recipe leave a comment below. We would like to know your experiences as well. Or you can follow us at Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
Last year I went to Ladakh on a tour. During that tour we visited a place named Nubra Valley. There were small huts made of bamboo sticks. A different place to visit. Well the chef of the kitchen was very friendly and after almost 10 days we got an opportunity to eat home made food. The chef gave us an opportunity to cook with him. And this recipe is from his kitchen !!
- Paneer – 150 gms (cut into one inch cube)
- Peas – one cup
- Onion – 2 big (cut into pieces)
- Tomato – 2 big (cut into pieces)
- Green Chili – 2 nos
- Garlic cloves – 7-8 nos
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Butter (fat free) – 2 tsp
- Olive oil
- Heat two tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan. Add little salt, a pinch of turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder. Put paneer pieces . Sauté light handedly and cook for two minutes. Close the flame.
- Boil a glass of water in a pan. Put the peas in the boiling water and keep it aside for fifteen minutes. This will make peas little soft.
- Heat two tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan and add jeera, green chilli, garlic cloves and ginger. Sauté for a minute and add onion pieces. Saute for another two minutes and add tomato. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, cardamom powder. Saute till you get nice aroma and color of all the spices. Let it cool.
- Add this point add a few drops of cooking red color (this is optional, I generally do not use any colors).
- Now transfer the mixture in a grinder and add milk.
- Heat butter in a nonstick pan and pour the mixture from the grinder. If the mixture seems to be little thicker you can add more milk. Sauté for two minutes and add peas.
- Let it cook on slow flame with covered lid for next ten minutes. Saute in between.
- Add paneer pieces, sauté for one minute and close the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Peas Paneer is ready !! 🙂
Serve hot with Naan, kulcha or paratha!!