I am Nidhi. This is my first post @rasoise. I am basically a Punjabi married into a Maharashtrian family. So, I am exposed to two different kind of cuisines on daily basis. My husband loves Punjabi food but never forgets his roots. :p
I am starting here with a typical Maharashtrian dish called Dhondas or Veg Cucumber Cake. When I first saw my mother in law cook a sweet dish with cucumber, I was shocked. I told her I am not going to eat this!!!!!!! :0 But while it was cooking, the smell of it made me change my decision. I was like Ok…I will at least taste it and see how bad it is. And she had specially cooked it for her office colleagues as Ganpatiji’s prasad. 😉
Trust me guys when I tasted the dish, it was one thing I was missing out in this awesome world here.
It is one of the reasons why I thought it is the best dish to start our blog with. Also, cucumber as we all know has lot of health benefits. 🙂
So, here I go with the recipe:
- Rawa 1Kg
- Large Size Cucumber 1Kg
- Jaggery (Gurh) 800 gms
- Coconut 1 Whole
- Ghee 250 gms
- Cashew & Almonds 1 Bowl
- Raisins (White & Black both) 1 Bowl
- Cumin Seeds (Zeera) 3 Tablespoon
- Cardamom (Elaichi) &Nutmeg (Jaiphal) Powder 2 Tablespoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric (Haldi) 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Leaves 10-12
STEP 1: Preparations
- Peel of the skin from cucumber and grate it. Keep the water of the cucumber as it is. Please do not throw it off.
- Take the coconut. Break it into two halves and remove the fruit from the shell.
- Cut coconut into smaller pieces and out it in a mixer. Add Cumin seeds, Turmeric & Cardamom in the coconut and grind it. Do not add water to help it grind.
STEP 2: Procedure
- Take a big cooking pot (karahi) and add 125gm of ghee in it. It is exactly the half of the total ghee taken. Once the ghee starts to melt, add rawa in it. Sauté till rawa turns golden yellow.
- Remove the rawa from gas and keep it aside in a different bowl.
- Now in the same cooking pot add 1 tablespoon of ghee and grated cucumber. Remember to add cucumber with its water as it is. Sauté the mixture till there is light color change.
- Add coconut mixture (already prepared) in the cucumber. Sauté till the mixture boils.
- Now add Jaggery in the mixture. Sauté till the Jaggery melts completely.
- Once Jaggery is completely melted and mixed into the cucumber, add prepared rawa into the mixture.
- Add salt and dry fruits in the mixture. Let it cook for 15 minutes on slow gas.
- Now take another Pan and apply ghee on all the sides of it. Pour the prepared mixture into this pan. Press gently with your hand to let the mixture settle into the new pan.
- While the mixture is settling, take a serving spoon and use the rear of it to make holes into the settled mixture. Add ghee into these holes. Put turmeric leaves on the top of it and seal with a tight cap.
- Take another bigger pan and heat it on high flame. Put the pan with mixture on the top of it and slow down the gas.
- Cook for one hour on the slow gas.
- Keep The water of cucumber as it is. It adds flavor to the dish.
- If you think that rawa is not cooked in the point no 7, then you can add half cup water and cook till the water dries up.
- Do not use oven for this procedure. As oven will not give you the desired dark color at the base of it.
Hope you guys like it and Happy Cooking 🙂