Curd has several health benefits during summers. Many recipes will be made time and again in summers such as Kadhi Pakora, raitas and dahi bhallas. Dahi Bhalla is another typical recipe from Punjabi cuisine. My husband is fond of this platter like anything. Dahi bhalla platter represents lentil dumping along with papdis and boiled potato pieces dipped in creamy yogurt with the flavor of spicy green Coriander and sweet tamarind chutneys.
Dahi Bhalla can be served as side dish with Punjabi main course or can also be served as starter dish. Yesterday on hubby’s demand dahi bhalla was served J
I have used white urad dal without skin, you can use the urad dal with skin. However in the later case after soaking the dal overnight, you have to remove the skin before you could use it for fritters or dumpings or bhallas.
Here we go,
Ingredients For Bhalla:
- White Urad dal – 1
- Green Chilli – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry fruits – 8-10 cashews and raisins each
- Salt – To taste
- Wash the urad dal twice in the flowing water. Soak the dal overnight.
- In the morning remove excess water (if any) and then grind the dal to a smooth batter. Add salt while grinding and if required add little water in between.
- Add finely chopped green chilli and cumin seeds.
- Now mix the batter with little force for couple of minutes, so that batter becomes light and fluffy. Add dryfruits. Again mix them.
- You can check if the batter is by dropping a spoonful of batter in water, if it floats its ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. When oil is medium hot, take a spoonful of urad dal batter and pour in the oil. Deep fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Take lukewarm water with little salt in a big bowl. Put the hot bhallas in the water and keep it aside for half hour.
- Post half hour, take bhalla one by one and press between your palms to drain the excess water. Do not over press the bhallas, otherwise it will break into pieces.
Ingredients For Bhalla Platter:
- Potato – ½ medium (boiled and cut into cubes)
- Yogurt – 1 cup (beaten smooth)
- Green Coriander Chutney – to taste
- Red tamarind chutney – to taste
- Bhallas – 3 nos
- Cumin powder (Roasted jeera powder) – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – a pinch
- Chaat Masala – a pinch
- Chopped coriander – few chopped
- Anar Dana (optional) – ½ tsp
- Arrange bhallas, boiled potato cubes in the serving tray / bowl. Spread beaten smooth curd on the bhallas.
- Now put some green coriander chutney followed by red tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle black salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and Anar dana.
Dahi Bhalla Platter is ready!!
I am sure you will be eager have this yum yummy Dahi Bhalla platter, Enjoy!!!!! Do not forget to check out our easy Cholle Bhature recipe!!!!
Check out our most unique recipe Dhondas here!!!!
If you liked this post, kindly consider linking to it or sharing it with others or like us on Facebook and twitter.
Happy Cooking!! 🙂