Today I am here with a typical Punjabi recipe, “Cholle Bhature”. I have been eating cholle bhature since childhood. Needless to say that I learnt this dish from my mom.
Yesterday, there was a small get together at my mother’s place. Me, my husband, Nidhi, our bro, mom dad, everybody was there. And the menu was Cholle Bhature muahhh!!! Love you mom….
Cholle here refers to a spicy curry and bhature to fried flat bread. The below recipe would definitely taste different from one’s we eat in restaurants.
Here we go with the recipe,
Ingredients For Cholle:
- Cholle (white chickpeas) – 1 cup (soaked overnight and boiled)
- Onion – 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato- 2 medium sided (blended into smooth paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 2 nos. (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Tej Patta – 1 large
- Cloves – 3-4
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Cholle Masala – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – few (finely chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add cumin seeds, tej patta and cloves. Let them sizzle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and green chilli. Saute for another two minutes.
- Add blended tomatoes. Mix well and stir continuously till the raw smell goes away and oil starts leaving in the side of the paste.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the boiled Cholle and stir continuously till it comes to a boil.
- Let it cook on low flame for another ten minutes. If you want to dilute the gravy add water.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or spice powders if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients For Bhature:
- Maida (All pupose flour) – 1 cup
- Sooji – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1tsp
- If bhaturas are to be made in the morning, then start a night before. If you plan to make bhaturas in afternoon lunch, then start in the same morning.
- Take a big bowl, and mix all the ingredients and make a soft dough. Cover it with a muslin cloth.
- Allow it to ferment for few hours atleast 6 hrs.
- Again knead the dough for two minutes.
- Form it in to 10 balls and roll them into 5-6 inch discs.
- Heat oil in a heavy base wok.
- Deep fry the bhaturas in the same way as we fry pooris. Serve the hot bhaturas with cholle.
Cholle Bhature is ready. You can serve it with onion and pickle as we see in restaurants.
My mom served it with green chutney and mix salad of onion, tomato, cabbage, cucumber and green chilli with some rock salt and chat masala sprinkled on it!!