Spring Roll is an indo – Chinese recipe. It is crunchy mix vegetables and noodles rolled and deep fried in in all purpose flour wrappers. It crispy, crunchy, spicy snack wich can be served with Chinese sauces or simple tomato sauce. The wrappers used in spring roll are available in leading departmental stores. However I have made wrappers at home. Instead of deep frying the rolls, I have shallow fried. You can use any veggies of your choice.
The process is divided into three steps:
- Making of wrappers
- Cooking Veggies and noodles
- Assembly of the roll
Ingredients for wrappers:
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- In a big bowl combine the plain flour, water and salt, and whisk well until well combined and there are no lumps. The batter should be of flowing consistency.
- Heat and grease a nonstick pan with oil. Once the pan is hot, with heat on medium, pour a ladle of the batter into the pan spread around quickly(like we do for dosa) to make a thin circle.
- Cook on medium heat until you see the sides are peeling. When the sides begin to peel off, turn the wrapper and cook on the other side for a few seconds.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more wrappers.
Ingredients for Veggies and noodles:
- Cabbage – ½ cup shredded
- Carrot – 1 nos (thinely sliced)
- Capsicum – ½ nos (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 nos (finely chopped)
- Noodles – ½ cup (boiled)
- Black pepper – 1tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soya sauce – 2 tsp
- Chilli sauce – 1 tsp
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok on high heat. Add in the cabbage, carrots, onions, capsicum.. Saute the vegetables on high heat. Do not overcook, the veggies should be crunchy.
- Stir in the salt and black pepper. Add sauces and noodles. Saute for a minute and transfer to a another bowl. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
Assembly of the roll:
- Place each square spring roll wrapper on a flat surface. Apply a little flour paste along the edges of the wrapper. Place a tablespoon of the filling on one corner/edge of the wrapper.
- Fold in from the filled corner and begin rolling until you reach the center. When you reach the center, fold the ends arising from the sides of the wrapper. And roll till the end.Make sure the edges are sealed well. The flour paste is important as it helps to seal the spring rolls so they don’t open up when deep fried.
- Repeat the process and make the rest of the spring rolls.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom wok and add in a few rolls at a time and deep fry on medium heat until golden brown in color.
Serve the spring rolls with homemade tomato sauce.