Idli is one of my favorite dish from South Indian cuisine. The most important aspect of idli is its softness. The Idlis made this Sunday turned out very soft and fluffy. To make Idli soft, batter plays an important role. Idli can be served with Sambhar and Chutney. For morning breakfast, it can be served with chutney as well.
Check dosa batter and dosa making recipe here. You can also try Idli in microwave.
Here we go,
- Par Boiled Rice – 1 cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Rice – 1 cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Urad Dal (without skin) – ½ cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Poha – ¼ cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – ½ tsp (Soaked for 5hours)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to grease
- If you wish to make Idli on Sunday, process should start on Saturday. Soak par boiled rice, poha and rice together for at least five hours.
- Simultaneously, in another bowl soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds together for at least five hours.
- Grind the soaked rice into fine and fluffy paste adding some water. I used almost one cup water while grinding.
- Grind the soaked Urad Dal and fenugreek seeds into a fine and fluffy paste. Less water is required while grinding the dal. Total grinding of rice and dal took more than half hour.
- Mix both the batter and mix well. Add salt.
- Cover the batter and let it ferment for 10hours or overnight. After fermentation the batter will rise to double and bubble will appear on the batter.
- Grease the idli moulds. Pour the batter in the moulds, steam the idlis in a steamer.
- Steam for 10-12 mins or until the idlis are done. Insert a toothpick to check, if t comes out clean, its done.
If you like our recipe leave a comment below. We would like to know your experiences as well. Or you can follow us at Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
Muthiya is a famous snack which comes from Gujarathi cuisine. Few years back, before my marriage, my dad was posted in Baroda, Gujarat where my mom learnt this recipe. Muthiya is a super delicious and healthy recipe and this is the reason why everyone who eats it loves it. These are multigrain flour and doodhi mixed steamed dumpings.
There are three ways of making muthiya – steamed, microwaved and fried. Steamed muthiya or microwaved muthiya is definitely more healthy and stomach filling version. The muthiya is generally made with chickpea flour (besan) and doodhi. Doodhi (bottle gourd ) as you all know is a healthy but not so liked vegetable. So, apart from Ghiya ke Kofte and Ghiya ka Halwa, muthiyas is another recipe where nobody can guess that it contains bottle gourd as main ingredient.
To make it healthier, I used wheat flour, semolina, rice flour and maize flour. In Maharashtra and Gujarat you can find muthiya on many sweet and farsan shops.
Muthiya can be stored for two or three days and can be served in morning breakfast or evening snack with tea. It can also be served as side dish in main course.
Here we go with recipe:
- Bottle Gourd (doodhi) – 1 cup (peeled and grated)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 3 nos. (finely chopped)
- Besan – ½ cup
- Semolina – ½ cup
- Rice Flour – ¼ cup
- Wheat Flour – ½ cup
- Maize Flour – ¼ cup
- Curd – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ajwain – ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1tsp
- Coriander leaves – few chopped
- Peel and grate doodhi. No need to squeeze the water from doodhi.
- Add all the flours along with semolina.
- Add green chilies and ginger garlic paste.
- Add oil, sugar, cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
- Add curd and salt.
- Knead it into smooth and soft dough.
- Apply some oil in your palms. Divide the dough into three equal portions and shape them into a cylindrical roll.
- Steam the roll for approx fifteen to twenty minutes. You can insert knife after fifteen minutes and check. If it comes out clean it’s done, otherwise steam for another five minutes. Alternatively you can microwave the cylindrical rolls for eight to ten minutes.
- Allow it to cool. Cut the rolls into circular slices.
- Heat oil in a wok, add ajwain seeds and sesame seed. Add muthiya pieces. Saute for two minutes till you get little brown and crisp muthiya.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Muthiya can be served with ketchup or with tamarind chutney with a cup of tea!! 🙂
If you liked the post, do not forget to
Follow us at Facebook
Yesterday I made dosa batter at home. The batter was just perfect, as the batter was spreading decently on the griddle. I used non stick dosa griddle. Masala dosa was served with sambhar and coconut chutney. I will be posting both the recipes later this week. J Till then you can check out Punjabi Cholle Bhature or Maharashtrian Komdi vada recipe.
Since the batter recipe is already discussed in DIY series yesterday, this recipe contains making of potato filling and dosa. The dosa tastes heaven when it is hot and crisp served with tangy at the same time spicy sambhar.
Without tempting you much, let’s start with the recipe,
Ingredients for Potato filling:
- Potato – 5 nos. (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- Onion – 1 big (cut into long slits)
- Green chilli – 2 nos. (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 big (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- White Sesame Seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – few (chopped)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds (after cracking sound), sesame seeds, onion slices.
- Sauté till it turns slightly brown.
- Add tomatoes and green chillies. Saute for one minute.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder. Saute for another two minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes. Sauté for two minutes. Cover with a tight lid.
- Let it cook on low flame for another five minutes. Saute in-between.
- Our filling is ready!! Garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients for Masala Dosa:
- Dosa Batter
- Potato Masala
- Heat a non stick griddle. Take a big spoonful of dosa batter, pour it on the griddle and spread quickly in the circular motion to make a thin dosa.
- Drizzle ghee when it gets cooked.
- Put a spoon full of potato masala in the middle.
- Fold and close the masala dosa.
- Serve hot !!
If you liked the recipe, leave a comment.
Don’t forget to hit a like on facebook.
Aaloo tikki burger is famous amongst kids. They like it a lot. Well it is famous amongst youngsters as well. Whenever I have carving for tikki or burger, I make this easy burger recipe with easily available ingredients in my kitchen.
This aaloo tikki burger is complete Indian style with tamarind chutney, coriander chutney in it. To make it healthy, I have used few veggies like capsicum and peas. Cucumber, tomato and onion are used as toppings. This tastes good with tomato ketchup. To make it more healthy, the tikkis are shallow fried on a nonstick griddle. Generally the tikkis in the burgers (available in streets) are deep fried which adds on to the calories.
Let’s start with the recipe:
Ingredients for Tikki:
- Potato – 4 (boiled, peeled, mashed)
- Peas – ¼ cup (boiled and mashed)
- Capsicum – ½ (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
- Green chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Bread crum – ½ cup (almost of three bread slices)
- Coriander leaves – few (finely chopped)
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Boil the potatoes, peel the skin and mash in a big bowl.
- Boil the peas in an open pan for five minutes, drain the water and add to the mashed potatoes.
- Add finely chopped capsicum and onion
- Add bread crums and chopped coriander leaves. Now add other spices.
- Mix them thoroughly to make a firm concrete mixture.
- Divide the mixture into six balls of equal size.
- Press each potato ball between the palms to make the tikki.
- Heat the non stick griddle, dizzle little oil (if desired), place the tikkis and cook on bothe the sides till brown.
- Repeat the process with other tikkis.
- Aaloo tikki is ready!!
Ingredients For Burger:
- Burger Bun – 6 nos.
- Cucumber – 1 no. (circular sliced)
- Tomato – 2 nos. (circular sliced)
- Onion – 1 no. (circular sliced)
- Coriander Chutney – 3-4 tsp
- Tamarind Chutney – 3-4 tsp
- Mayonnaise cheese – 2-3 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1 tsp
- Slit the bun to half. Heat the griddle, heat the bun halves on the griddle for few seconds. Remove from griddle.
- Spread mayonnaise on one half bun. Place a onion slice on it. Now place one aaloo tikki on it. If required press it little.
- Place a tomato and cucumber slice on it
- Spread coriander and tamarind chutney on another half and tightly close the bun.
- I have used a toothpick to tie it firmly.
Burger is ready!! 🙂 🙂
Welcome to the “BENEFIT SERIES” from RASOISE. Today I will discuss few benefits of Watermelon followed by the recipe of Watermelon Juice
Watermelon is available in market during summers. This sweet refreshing red fleshed fruit has many health benefits. It is rich source of vitamin A & C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Carbohydrates.
Water melon is a sweet delicious fruit with low calories and high fiber and water content. The low calories help in reducing weight and high fiber water content helps in keeping body and skin hydrated. Thus it is considered as an excellent source of instant energy.
It is also rich in Vitamin B6 which relieves body from stress and fatigue. I contains Lycopene, which gives protection against UV rays. So it helps in maintaining the glow of the skin.
Here’s the watermelon juice recipe to keep you all refreshing and hydrated 🙂 🙂
- Watermelon – 1kg (flesh sliced)
- Black Salt – ¼ tsp
- Slice the flesh of the watermelon leaving behind hard outer covering. Remove the seeds.
- Cube the slices.
- In the mixer, put all the cubes. Start the mixer.
- Strain the juice through the strainer.
- Add black salt and serve.
You may also like Veg Manchurian and Veg Fried rice !! Try them out !!
Curd has several health benefits during summers. Many recipes will be made time and again in summers such as Kadhi Pakora, raitas and dahi bhallas. Dahi Bhalla is another typical recipe from Punjabi cuisine. My husband is fond of this platter like anything. Dahi bhalla platter represents lentil dumping along with papdis and boiled potato pieces dipped in creamy yogurt with the flavor of spicy green Coriander and sweet tamarind chutneys.
Dahi Bhalla can be served as side dish with Punjabi main course or can also be served as starter dish. Yesterday on hubby’s demand dahi bhalla was served J
I have used white urad dal without skin, you can use the urad dal with skin. However in the later case after soaking the dal overnight, you have to remove the skin before you could use it for fritters or dumpings or bhallas.
Here we go,
Ingredients For Bhalla:
- White Urad dal – 1
- Green Chilli – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry fruits – 8-10 cashews and raisins each
- Salt – To taste
- Wash the urad dal twice in the flowing water. Soak the dal overnight.
- In the morning remove excess water (if any) and then grind the dal to a smooth batter. Add salt while grinding and if required add little water in between.
- Add finely chopped green chilli and cumin seeds.
- Now mix the batter with little force for couple of minutes, so that batter becomes light and fluffy. Add dryfruits. Again mix them.
- You can check if the batter is by dropping a spoonful of batter in water, if it floats its ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok. When oil is medium hot, take a spoonful of urad dal batter and pour in the oil. Deep fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Take lukewarm water with little salt in a big bowl. Put the hot bhallas in the water and keep it aside for half hour.
- Post half hour, take bhalla one by one and press between your palms to drain the excess water. Do not over press the bhallas, otherwise it will break into pieces.
Ingredients For Bhalla Platter:
- Potato – ½ medium (boiled and cut into cubes)
- Yogurt – 1 cup (beaten smooth)
- Green Coriander Chutney – to taste
- Red tamarind chutney – to taste
- Bhallas – 3 nos
- Cumin powder (Roasted jeera powder) – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – a pinch
- Chaat Masala – a pinch
- Chopped coriander – few chopped
- Anar Dana (optional) – ½ tsp
- Arrange bhallas, boiled potato cubes in the serving tray / bowl. Spread beaten smooth curd on the bhallas.
- Now put some green coriander chutney followed by red tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle black salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and Anar dana.
Dahi Bhalla Platter is ready!!
I am sure you will be eager have this yum yummy Dahi Bhalla platter, Enjoy!!!!! Do not forget to check out our easy Cholle Bhature recipe!!!!
Check out our most unique recipe Dhondas here!!!!
If you liked this post, kindly consider linking to it or sharing it with others or like us on Facebook and twitter.
Happy Cooking!! 🙂
Today I am here with a typical Punjabi recipe, “Cholle Bhature”. I have been eating cholle bhature since childhood. Needless to say that I learnt this dish from my mom.
Yesterday, there was a small get together at my mother’s place. Me, my husband, Nidhi, our bro, mom dad, everybody was there. And the menu was Cholle Bhature muahhh!!! Love you mom….
Cholle here refers to a spicy curry and bhature to fried flat bread. The below recipe would definitely taste different from one’s we eat in restaurants.
Here we go with the recipe,
Ingredients For Cholle:
- Cholle (white chickpeas) – 1 cup (soaked overnight and boiled)
- Onion – 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato- 2 medium sided (blended into smooth paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 2 nos. (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Tej Patta – 1 large
- Cloves – 3-4
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Cholle Masala – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – few (finely chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add cumin seeds, tej patta and cloves. Let them sizzle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and green chilli. Saute for another two minutes.
- Add blended tomatoes. Mix well and stir continuously till the raw smell goes away and oil starts leaving in the side of the paste.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the boiled Cholle and stir continuously till it comes to a boil.
- Let it cook on low flame for another ten minutes. If you want to dilute the gravy add water.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or spice powders if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients For Bhature:
- Maida (All pupose flour) – 1 cup
- Sooji – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1tsp
- If bhaturas are to be made in the morning, then start a night before. If you plan to make bhaturas in afternoon lunch, then start in the same morning.
- Take a big bowl, and mix all the ingredients and make a soft dough. Cover it with a muslin cloth.
- Allow it to ferment for few hours atleast 6 hrs.
- Again knead the dough for two minutes.
- Form it in to 10 balls and roll them into 5-6 inch discs.
- Heat oil in a heavy base wok.
- Deep fry the bhaturas in the same way as we fry pooris. Serve the hot bhaturas with cholle.
Cholle Bhature is ready. You can serve it with onion and pickle as we see in restaurants.
My mom served it with green chutney and mix salad of onion, tomato, cabbage, cucumber and green chilli with some rock salt and chat masala sprinkled on it!!