Kombdi Wada is a non-vegetarian dish from Malvan, southmost district in Maharashtra. Malvan dishes are mostly famous for spicy-ness and quirkiness in them. Kombdi wada is traditional chicken gravy and puri (wada) combined dish, served with onion, lemon and solkadhi.
Malvan is also home to beautiful virgin beaches and historical monuments like Sindhudurg fort. I visited Malvan for the first time after my marriage and it was heavenly.
For Chicken Gravy
- Fresh Live Chicken – 1Kg
- Onion – 4 Medium, finely chopped
- Tomato – 3 Big, finely chopped
- Dry Coconut – 1 Cup, grated
- Garam Masala – 2 tablespoon
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 tablespoon
- Malwani Masala – 2 tablespoon
- Cashew – 10 nos., well soaked in water
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – to Taste
- Rice flour – 1kg
- Jawari flour– ½ kg
- Chana Dal flour – ¼ kg
- Urad Dal flour– ¼ kg
- Coriander powder – 200gm
- Jeera – 100gm
- Methe powder – 2 tablespoon
- Ajwain – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds (saunf) – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Green Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoon
- Oil – for frying
For the Chicken Gravy
STEP 1: Clean the Chicken
- Take fresh live chicken in a bowl; wash it under running tap water for, if any, impurities.
- Using a butcher knife, remove the unwanted skin from the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
STEP 2: Preparations
- Take another cooking pot and add 2 onions chopped and grated dry coconut. Cook them till the onion turns golden brown. Once done, turn off the gas and let it cool. Now transfer it to the mixer and grind it to make it a fine paste.
STEP 3: Procedure
- Take a big cooking pot and add two spoon full of oil to it. Add rest of the 2 chopped onions to hot oil. Let it cook for few minutes till the onion turns light golden brown. Now add tomato and ginger garlic paste to onion. Let it cook for few minutes till oil separate.
- Now add Malwani Masala and garam masala. Also add turmeric and salt. Mix.
- Now add some water to the gravy and then add chicken to it. Cook it for 10 mins if it is a broiler or cook for 1 hour if it is a gauti chicken. Keep stirring the chicken.
- Now add the onion coconut paste which we had already prepared.
- Let chicken cook for 10 min.
- Add soaked cashew pieces to the ready Kombdi gravy.
For the wada
STEP 1: Preparations
- Take rice flour, jawar flour, chana dal flour, urad dal flour, coriander powder, jeera, methe seed powder in a cooking pot. Cook them for few minutes.
- Take the ready flour in a big mixing bowl. Add salt, bhuna jeera, Ajwain, fennel seeds (saunf) and freshly cut coriander leaves.
- Mix everything with your hand to make dough using luke warm water. Make sure the dough is not too hard or too soft.
- Make this dough atleast 7-8 hours before making the wada.
STEP 2: Procedure
- Heat oil into a wok for frying.
- Make small equal sized balls out of the dough. Put a plastic on the chapati board and roll each ball into a puri over this plastic.
- Place the puri into the hot oil for deep frying. Fry till wada gets golden brown from both the sides.
Voila!! it’s ready to savor 🙂
Serve it hot with Onion, lemon and Solkadhi.
- This recipe is best done with live chicken such as broiler or gauti chicken. Boneless chicken is best used for other chicken recipes such as butter chicken.
- If onion coconut paste is difficult to grind, add some water to make it flow
- Do not pressure cook the chicken to reduce the cooking time. It will take away the flavor and chicken can get overcooked.
- Malwani masala can be made at home or it is easily available in market as well.
- If you like you can add Turmeric and red chili powder in the wada flour.
Hope you guys like it and Happy Cooking 🙂