These days tomatoes are really cheap in the market and vegetable sellers are flooded with tomatoes. This is the ideal time to make tomato ketchup / sauce. You can preserve this homemade for almost a year. It contains a preservative, sodium benzoate, which increases its shelf life.This homemade ketchup is made of tomatoes and only tomatoes. You can serve Springrolls, Kachori, Dhokla, Sandwich, Kothimbir Vadi, Burger and many other snacks.
Here we go,
Tomatoes – 2 kg
Green Chillies – 5-6 (cut into pieces)
Garlic – 8-10 cloves
Cloves (Laung) – 3-4
Sugar – ½ cup
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper – ½ tsp
Sodium Benzoate – ¼ tsp
- Rinse the tomatoes under running water and cut each tomato into four parts.
- Cut green chillies and garlic into pieces.
- Take a pressure cooker and add tomatoes, green chilli, garlic and cloves.
- Pressure cook to two whistles.
- Let it cool.
- Blend the tomato mixture to a smooth puree and strain it through a strainer to a heavy bottom wok.
- Keep the wok on a stove top. Add sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Stir continuously on a medium flame till the pulp starts thickening and reaches ketchup like consistency. The pulp should fall from the spoon in lumps. It should not fall free flow.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
- Add sodium benzoate to the sauce and mix well.
- Store it in a sterilized jar.