Dosa is one dish you can find in every restaurant menu, a famous dish come from South India. I personally like Masala Dosa and Rawa Dosa. Dosa batter plays an important role in making successful Dosas.
The main ingredients in dosa batter are rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. The batter should be fluffy and fermented enough to spread smoothly on the griddle. Earlier when I was residing in Mumbai, readymade dosa batter was available on almost every grocery store. Here in rajasthan, it is difficult to locate. Making dosa is a tedious task when you have to prepare dosa batter, potato filling, sambhar and chutney. So, I take up dosa making generally on Sunday.
Here we go today with Dosa batter recipe,
- Par Boiled Rice – 1 cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Rice – 1 cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Urad Dal (without skin) – ½ cup (Soaked for 5hours)
- Fenugreek Seeds – ½ tsp (Soaked for 5hours)
- Salt – to taste
- If you wish to make dosa on Sunday, process should start on Saturday. Soak par boiled rice and rice together for at least five hours.
- Simultaneously, in another bowl soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds together for at least five hours.
- Grind the soaked rice into fine and fluffy paste adding some water. I used almost one cup water while grinding.
- Grind the soaked Urad Dal and fenugreek seeds into a fine and fluffy paste. Less water is required while grinding the dal. Total grinding of rice and dal took more than half hour.
- Mix both the batter and mix well. Add salt.
- Cover the batter and let it ferment for 10hours or overnight. After fermentation the batter will rise to double and bubble will appear on the batter.
Dosa batter is ready. 🙂