Last year I went to Ladakh on a tour. During that tour we visited a place named Nubra Valley. There were small huts made of bamboo sticks. A different place to visit. Well the chef of the kitchen was very friendly and after almost 10 days we got an opportunity to eat home made food. The chef gave us an opportunity to cook with him. And this recipe is from his kitchen !!
- Paneer – 150 gms (cut into one inch cube)
- Peas – one cup
- Onion – 2 big (cut into pieces)
- Tomato – 2 big (cut into pieces)
- Green Chili – 2 nos
- Garlic cloves – 7-8 nos
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Butter (fat free) – 2 tsp
- Olive oil
- Heat two tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan. Add little salt, a pinch of turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder. Put paneer pieces . Sauté light handedly and cook for two minutes. Close the flame.
- Boil a glass of water in a pan. Put the peas in the boiling water and keep it aside for fifteen minutes. This will make peas little soft.
- Heat two tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan and add jeera, green chilli, garlic cloves and ginger. Sauté for a minute and add onion pieces. Saute for another two minutes and add tomato. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, cardamom powder. Saute till you get nice aroma and color of all the spices. Let it cool.
- Add this point add a few drops of cooking red color (this is optional, I generally do not use any colors).
- Now transfer the mixture in a grinder and add milk.
- Heat butter in a nonstick pan and pour the mixture from the grinder. If the mixture seems to be little thicker you can add more milk. Sauté for two minutes and add peas.
- Let it cook on slow flame with covered lid for next ten minutes. Saute in between.
- Add paneer pieces, sauté for one minute and close the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Peas Paneer is ready !! 🙂
Serve hot with Naan, kulcha or paratha!!